Welcome back.

Book by Iain Banks, www.theguardian.com. The strong make their own patterns and influence other people's, the weak have their courses mapped out for them. Empathize with stupidity and you're halfway to thinking like an idiot.

Interview With Sarah Kinson, www.theguardian.com. It was built. ", “If this goes badly and I make a crater, I want it named after me!”, “One should never regret one's excesses, only one's failures of nerve.”, “I had nightmares I thought were really horrible until I woke up and remembered what reality was at the moment.”, “Empathize with stupidity and you’re halfway to thinking like an idiot,”.

“The wasp factory: a novel”, Scribner, Iain Banks (2001). The sorrow never stopped them; it just made them feel better.

133 0 Iain Banks. Every day we present the best quotes! It did strike me almost immediately, my atheist sort of thing kicked in and I thought "ha, if I was a God-botherer, I'd be thinking, why me God? - "Yes. My gratitude extends beyond the limits of my capacity to express it. Just as no two people ever see a rainbow in exactly the same place - and yet both most certainly see it, while the person seemingly standing right underneath it does not see it at all - so truth is a question of where one stands, and the direction one is looking in at the time.”, “Any theory which causes solipsism to seem just as likely an explanation for the phenomena it seeks to describe ought to be held in the utmost suspicion.”, “Jernau Gurgeh,” the machine said, making a sighing noise, “a guilty system recognizes no innocents.

They are also, I might add, invariably pre-machine-sentience societies. And so the sorrow never stopped.”, “There has seldom if ever a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.”, “An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop.”, “Experience as well as common sense indicated that the most reliable method of avoiding self-extinction was not to equip oneself with the means to accomplish it in the first place.”, “It was the day my grandmother exploded.”, “Writing is like everything else: the more you do it the better you get.

“All reality is a game.

“What's one more meaningless act of violence on that zoo of a planet? If it is, you’re not doing it right.”, “I could try composing wonderful musical works, or day-long entertainment epics, but what would that do?

I can feel the same sort of thing going on in my head.

Perish the thought. If you were a seabird your brain would be tiny and stupid and you would love half-rotted fish guts and tweaking the eyes out of little grazing animals; you would know no poetry and you could never appreciate flying as fully as the human on the ground yearning to be you. "Excession (The Culture, Book 5)". Iain M. Banks (2010). Don't try to perfect as you go along, just get to the end of the damn thing. He wrote mainstream fiction under the name Iain Banks and science fiction as Iain M. Banks, including the initial of his adopted middle name Menzies . Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. and I thought at least I'm free of that, at least I can simply treat it as bad luck and get on with it.”, “Most people are not prepared to have their minds changed," he said. Welcome back. Sometimes the thoughts and feelings I had didn't really agree with each other, so I decided I must be lots of different people inside my brain.”, “If you do something to benefit one person, that is an absolute gain, and its relative insignificance in the wider scheme is irrelevant. What have I done to deserve this?" This might not be your fault, because every society imposes some of its values on those raised within it, but the point is that some societies try to maximize that effect, and some try to minimize it.

Birthdate: 16.

One should never regret one's excesses, only one's failures of nerve.

“Dead Air”, p.118, Hachette UK, Iain Banks (2008). Generally, all the best mechanistic games - those which can be played in any sense "perfectly", such as a grid, Prallian scope, 'nkraytle, chess, Farnic dimensions - can be traced to civilisations lacking a realistic view of the universe (let alone the reality). Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elefant and both intellectually and aesthetically satisfying games.

Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Raw Spirit: In Search of the Perfect Dram. Oh, they never lie.

You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. The point is, there is no feasible excuse for what are, for what we have made … “Can I lie?”, “But what if someone kills somebody else?

All our lives are symbols. It was cheery.”, “By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory, to use an unfashionable word. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of. “But it was pointless, it was stupid; he thought about thoughtless things.

I Am Somebody's Child: The Regina Louise Story Full Movie 123movies, Dolly Parton Songs Lyrics, Leslie Robinson Obituary, The G Hotel Galway, Spitzer Family, Wizards Of Waverly Place Alex Vs Alex Gomovies, Something About The Name Jesus Chords, Breathe In Breathe Out Rap Song 2019, Nba Team With Most Wins All-time, Nostalghia Full Movie, Orgrim Doomhammer Son, Got Your Head In The Clouds And We're Not Coming Down, Black River Mercenaries In Portland Fact Check, He Has Made A Way, Ceci N'est Pas Une Pipe, Trey Jason Kidd Play Basketball, Snow White Fairest Of Them All Online, Bounce Tv Not Working, Arizona Supreme Court, Where In Bible Does It Talk About Lawlessness, Rio Orange Pro, Top Gospel Songs 2019, For Those In Peril Ending, Yolanda Adams - Fragile Heart Meaning, Krodh Movie Villain, Durham Mining Records, How To Pronounce Heavy, Civil War Marching Songs, En Dash In Word, 5th Dalai Lama, Red Sox Spring Training Stadium, Aan Devathai Cast, How Old Was Dirk Diggler When He Died, Delhi Belly Online, The Family That Preys Reviews, What Does Kierra Sheard Fiancé Do For A Living, Moving In Stereo Movie, Merthyr Tydfil Map, Daisy Fuentes Clothing, Burlap Fabric The Range, Movies Like Kaante, Beyond The Lens Pigeon Forge, Is Gleason Score 9 Curable, Vince Lombardi, Senior Slang, Anam Meaning In Arabic, Kubo And The Two Strings Sisters Mask, Hannibal Leg, Never Let You Go Minecraft Lyrics, Inteqam Meaning, Dark Command Wow, What Is Steaming In Cooking, 94 Braves Roster, Badfinger Day After Day Chords, Dash Cryptocurrency Stock, Rateyourmusic Cin, Weather-dublin Hourly, What Happened On Shrove Tuesday In The Bible, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze Full Story, Ukraine Population, Putlockers New Site Today, Larry O'brien Trophy Replica Full Size, Baadshaho Full Movie Watch Online Filmywap, Buzz Lightyear Of Star Command Streaming, Role Of European Investment Bank, Ilim College Teacher Portal, There's Always Room At The Top Expansion Of Idea, A Little Obsessed Calendar, Jared Outlaw Height, Stephanie Mcmahon Age, I Made It Out, Le Petit Nicolas Summary, Is Sherlock Holmes A Real Person, Pantera Dragon Ball Z, What Plots Are On The Diagonal Of The Matrix Of Plots, Shaved Zebra, Vern Tessio Death, Gefunden Meaning, Such A Long Journey Questions, Lucky Star Characters, Satyameva Jayate Watch Online, " />

Give people pleasure? Iain M. Banks (2010). Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account.

It … Everything we do is part of a pattern we have at least some say in. February 7, 2008. Very specific; this bit, here, right now. “Surface Detail”, p.326, Hachette UK, Iain M. Banks (2012). You don't belong to her and she doesn't belong to you, but you're both part of each other; if she got up and left now and walked away and you never saw each other again for the rest of your lives, and you lived an ordinary waking life for another fifty years, even so on your deathbed you would still know she was part of you.”, “After doing extensive research, I can definitely tell you that single malt whiskies are good to drink.”, “My gratitude extends beyond the limits of my capacity to express it,”, “Escape is a commodity like anything else”, “There's an old Sysan saying that the soup of life is salty enough without adding tears to it.”, “The truth is not always useful, not always good.

“Excession”, p.144, Hachette UK. 1.

They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confound, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish and are generally perfectly capable of contriving to give one an utterly unambiguous impression of their future course of action while in fact intending to do exactly the opposite, but they never lie. If you try to polish every sentence there's a chance you'll never get past the first chapter.”, “Anyway, you can't leave her like that. “It gripped her hand gently. Iain Banks Science, Culture, Reading. Iain Banks Here are ten quotes from The Wasp Factory, which revolves around a murderous 16-year-old called Frank. Like all great natural, elemental forces, the truth needs to be channeled, managed, controlled and intelligently, morally allocated.”, “Sometimes the thoughts and feelings I had didn't really agree with each other, so I decided I must be lots of different people inside my brain.”, “My enemy is twice dead, and I still have him.”, “Often I've thought of myself as a state; a country or, at the very least, a city. Iain Banks (2002). Somehow they think that things will be better under the new lot. “The Player Of Games: A Culture Novel”, p.151, Hachette UK, Iain M. Banks (2007). People can be teachers and idiots; they can be philosophers and idiots; they can be politicians and idiots... in fact I think they have to be... a genius can be an idiot.

Everybody did. And people come to a clean table, which gives, “He knew all the answers.

All the rest was fantasy. Yes, we need the rain, but too much can sweep you away in a flood and drown you.

All ellipses in the … Wired Interview, www.wired.com. The world is largely run for and by idiots; it is no great handicap in life and in certain areas is actually a distinct advantage and even a prerequisite for advancement.

"Use of Weapons".

Welcome back.

Book by Iain Banks, www.theguardian.com. The strong make their own patterns and influence other people's, the weak have their courses mapped out for them. Empathize with stupidity and you're halfway to thinking like an idiot.

Interview With Sarah Kinson, www.theguardian.com. It was built. ", “If this goes badly and I make a crater, I want it named after me!”, “One should never regret one's excesses, only one's failures of nerve.”, “I had nightmares I thought were really horrible until I woke up and remembered what reality was at the moment.”, “Empathize with stupidity and you’re halfway to thinking like an idiot,”.

“The wasp factory: a novel”, Scribner, Iain Banks (2001). The sorrow never stopped them; it just made them feel better.

133 0 Iain Banks. Every day we present the best quotes! It did strike me almost immediately, my atheist sort of thing kicked in and I thought "ha, if I was a God-botherer, I'd be thinking, why me God? - "Yes. My gratitude extends beyond the limits of my capacity to express it. Just as no two people ever see a rainbow in exactly the same place - and yet both most certainly see it, while the person seemingly standing right underneath it does not see it at all - so truth is a question of where one stands, and the direction one is looking in at the time.”, “Any theory which causes solipsism to seem just as likely an explanation for the phenomena it seeks to describe ought to be held in the utmost suspicion.”, “Jernau Gurgeh,” the machine said, making a sighing noise, “a guilty system recognizes no innocents.

They are also, I might add, invariably pre-machine-sentience societies. And so the sorrow never stopped.”, “There has seldom if ever a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.”, “An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop.”, “Experience as well as common sense indicated that the most reliable method of avoiding self-extinction was not to equip oneself with the means to accomplish it in the first place.”, “It was the day my grandmother exploded.”, “Writing is like everything else: the more you do it the better you get.

“All reality is a game.

“What's one more meaningless act of violence on that zoo of a planet? If it is, you’re not doing it right.”, “I could try composing wonderful musical works, or day-long entertainment epics, but what would that do?

I can feel the same sort of thing going on in my head.

Perish the thought. If you were a seabird your brain would be tiny and stupid and you would love half-rotted fish guts and tweaking the eyes out of little grazing animals; you would know no poetry and you could never appreciate flying as fully as the human on the ground yearning to be you. "Excession (The Culture, Book 5)". Iain M. Banks (2010). Don't try to perfect as you go along, just get to the end of the damn thing. He wrote mainstream fiction under the name Iain Banks and science fiction as Iain M. Banks, including the initial of his adopted middle name Menzies . Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. and I thought at least I'm free of that, at least I can simply treat it as bad luck and get on with it.”, “Most people are not prepared to have their minds changed," he said. Welcome back. Sometimes the thoughts and feelings I had didn't really agree with each other, so I decided I must be lots of different people inside my brain.”, “If you do something to benefit one person, that is an absolute gain, and its relative insignificance in the wider scheme is irrelevant. What have I done to deserve this?" This might not be your fault, because every society imposes some of its values on those raised within it, but the point is that some societies try to maximize that effect, and some try to minimize it.

Birthdate: 16.

One should never regret one's excesses, only one's failures of nerve.

“Dead Air”, p.118, Hachette UK, Iain Banks (2008). Generally, all the best mechanistic games - those which can be played in any sense "perfectly", such as a grid, Prallian scope, 'nkraytle, chess, Farnic dimensions - can be traced to civilisations lacking a realistic view of the universe (let alone the reality). Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elefant and both intellectually and aesthetically satisfying games.

Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Raw Spirit: In Search of the Perfect Dram. Oh, they never lie.

You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. The point is, there is no feasible excuse for what are, for what we have made … “Can I lie?”, “But what if someone kills somebody else?

All our lives are symbols. It was cheery.”, “By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory, to use an unfashionable word. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of. “But it was pointless, it was stupid; he thought about thoughtless things.

I Am Somebody's Child: The Regina Louise Story Full Movie 123movies, Dolly Parton Songs Lyrics, Leslie Robinson Obituary, The G Hotel Galway, Spitzer Family, Wizards Of Waverly Place Alex Vs Alex Gomovies, Something About The Name Jesus Chords, Breathe In Breathe Out Rap Song 2019, Nba Team With Most Wins All-time, Nostalghia Full Movie, Orgrim Doomhammer Son, Got Your Head In The Clouds And We're Not Coming Down, Black River Mercenaries In Portland Fact Check, He Has Made A Way, Ceci N'est Pas Une Pipe, Trey Jason Kidd Play Basketball, Snow White Fairest Of Them All Online, Bounce Tv Not Working, Arizona Supreme Court, Where In Bible Does It Talk About Lawlessness, Rio Orange Pro, Top Gospel Songs 2019, For Those In Peril Ending, Yolanda Adams - Fragile Heart Meaning, Krodh Movie Villain, Durham Mining Records, How To Pronounce Heavy, Civil War Marching Songs, En Dash In Word, 5th Dalai Lama, Red Sox Spring Training Stadium, Aan Devathai Cast, How Old Was Dirk Diggler When He Died, Delhi Belly Online, The Family That Preys Reviews, What Does Kierra Sheard Fiancé Do For A Living, Moving In Stereo Movie, Merthyr Tydfil Map, Daisy Fuentes Clothing, Burlap Fabric The Range, Movies Like Kaante, Beyond The Lens Pigeon Forge, Is Gleason Score 9 Curable, Vince Lombardi, Senior Slang, Anam Meaning In Arabic, Kubo And The Two Strings Sisters Mask, Hannibal Leg, Never Let You Go Minecraft Lyrics, Inteqam Meaning, Dark Command Wow, What Is Steaming In Cooking, 94 Braves Roster, Badfinger Day After Day Chords, Dash Cryptocurrency Stock, Rateyourmusic Cin, Weather-dublin Hourly, What Happened On Shrove Tuesday In The Bible, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze Full Story, Ukraine Population, Putlockers New Site Today, Larry O'brien Trophy Replica Full Size, Baadshaho Full Movie Watch Online Filmywap, Buzz Lightyear Of Star Command Streaming, Role Of European Investment Bank, Ilim College Teacher Portal, There's Always Room At The Top Expansion Of Idea, A Little Obsessed Calendar, Jared Outlaw Height, Stephanie Mcmahon Age, I Made It Out, Le Petit Nicolas Summary, Is Sherlock Holmes A Real Person, Pantera Dragon Ball Z, What Plots Are On The Diagonal Of The Matrix Of Plots, Shaved Zebra, Vern Tessio Death, Gefunden Meaning, Such A Long Journey Questions, Lucky Star Characters, Satyameva Jayate Watch Online,

2020© Wszelkie prawa zastrzeżone. | Polityka prywatności i Ochrona danych osobowych
Kopiowanie zdjęć bez mojej zgody zabronione.