This disaster was fortunately, not on the same scale but claimed the lives of twenty eight men and boys. Mines Inspector Report, 1879. There were vast crowds reported to be at the pit but the hysterical that followed the explosion of 1877 was not repeated. There were several other men engaged near me. After a little time I made another effort and this time I was able to get to the main way.

Blantyre, Lanarkshire. BLANTYRE No.1.

The colliery was the property of Messrs. Dixon and Company and had been the scene of a great explosion in which 211 lives were lost in 1877. Information supplied by Ian Winstanley and the Coal Mining History Resource Centre. John McGuigan aged 38 years, brusher, left a wife and two children. I tried to get to the main way but I was driven back by the gas. 3 Pit.

Thomas McDuff or Duffy, aged 24 years, brusher, single. Several of the rescuers put their lives at risk and Mr. Watson, the manager and John White the overman were brought to the surface, along with others, after they had been overcome by the gas. It was the Ell seam which was the highest of the three seams and is the only one in the pit that is being worked now. James Lafferty aged 46 years, fireman, left a widow and a family.

Tague Boyle aged 22 years, brusher, single. Those at the pit head hear a loud report which sounded like the firing of a dynamite shot in the shaft. John Newton aged 60 years, brusher, single. Thomas Irvine aged 60 years, bottomer, left a widow and grown up family. October, 1877. By 5 p.m. all the bodies except three, had been recovered and brought to the surface. I was thrown violently against the coal face and then hurled on a heap of coal and much bruised and almost knocked insensible but I managed to pick myself up. I struggled on and became unconscious. The explosion occurred in the Ell Coal where men were using gunpowder to blast some stonework. Richard Runn aged over 30 years, brusher, lefta widow and six children. Michael Howitt aged 27 years, brusher, single. High Blantyre, Lanarkshire. Although the shaft was clear, the ventilation had been deranged and there was a lot of afterdamp as they made their way to the No.1 which was the scene of the explosion. Peter Berry aged 58 years, brusher, widow and six children. Colliery Guardian, 4th July 1879, p.99, 21st November 1879, p.812. The Glasgow Herald.

Blantyre, Lanarkshire. REFERENCES The explosion did not cover a great area and the men at the far end of the level were found alive. 22nd. July, 1879. 2nd. Alexander McArthur aged 40 years, brusher, left a widow. Blantyre Colliery belongs to Messrs. William Dixon (Limited).

Mr. Moore. The “Glasgow Herald”  lists the following as “Missing”: Charles Lafferty gave the press an account of his experiences in the pit. Henry Duffy aged 65 years, brusher, single, Patrick Lynch aged 30 years, brusher, single and. About nine oÕclock we heard a loud explosion coming from the west workings of the north bottom and immediately afterwards there was rush of gas along the workings. The other men in the pit quickly got out by other shafts and exploring parties were organised under the direction of Mr. James Watson, the manager and including James, his son, who was overman at the colliery and J. Torrance, William Gilchrist, John Pickering, John White, Walter Howieson and Thomas Laidlaw went down the No. On the night of the disaster the men went down about 6 p.m. Patrick McGarvie aged 55 years, brusher widow. They were brushers whose duty it was to clear and repair the mine ready for the day men. The gas was very strong and I cold hardly breathe. The colliery was owned by Messrs. William Dixon Limited, with Mr. J. Mann Thompson the managing director of the company. Bernard O’Bryen aged 28 years, brusher, widow and one child. Alexander Simmington aged 24 years, brusher, single. He said: I was working a considerable distance away from the main way at the coal face. Lafferty was found unconscious and the other man was few yards away, dead.

It is a large colliery, and employs 660 men underground ; 500 of these work during the day, and 160 at night prepare the workings for those who work during the day. © Northern Mine Research Society | Registered Charity Number - 326704. Edward Thompson aged 31 years, brusher, left a widow and three chidren. We went together a little way but my companion became exhausted and dropped down saying he could go no further.

May and there were 3,000 cubic feet of air per minute passing into the district. John O’Neil aged 32 years, brusher, widow and three children. Patrick McGribben aged 58 years, left a wife and grown up family. 2nd. John Malone aged 38 years, brusher widow and five children. John Harvey aged 44 years, brusher, single.

This disaster was fortunately, not on the same scale but claimed the lives of twenty eight men and boys. Gas had not been seen in the mine since the 19th. I found another man who was endeavouring to make his way to the bottom.

Patrick Vallelly aged 21 years, brusher, single. Bernard Cairns aged 23 years, single, who died the following day. July, 1879. My father, James Lafferty, overman was one of them. The colliery was the property of Messrs. Dixon and Company and had been the scene of a great explosion in which 211 lives were lost in 1877. They ad to make their way slowly and carefully forward by the use of brattice. Robert Mullan aged 28 years, brusher, single.

Since the previous disaster great care had been taken in working the mine and only safety lamps of the Clanny and Davy types were used. Charles Lafferty aged 18 years, son of James, Bernard O’Neill aged 27 years, single, brother of John and. James Bryson aged 58 years, brusher, left a widow and family.

Side Effects Chainsmokers Lyrics Meaning, Ragini Mms Series Film Series, Invisible Man Summary Pdf, Harga Hewan Bushbaby, The Spider's Web Britain's Second Empire Youtube, Jfk Young, Sloth Facts For Kids, Sporting Life Meaning, How Old Was Seth When He Died, Mentari Foundation, Philadelphia Phillies World Series Championships 1980, Townsville Humidity Averages, Jung Byung-gil, The Redeemer Fx, Chaz Bono 2020, Assassin Roblox, What Are Tidelands?, Harrison Barnes Championships, Necessity Thesaurus, Biden News Today, Hand-drawn Animation Movies 2019, Lord Edgware Dies (1934 Dvd), How Did The Chilean Miners Survive, Her Minor Thing 123movies, Palantir Vantage, The Toxic Avenger Tour, Hitman Contracts Highly Compressed, Rick Rossovich Wife, Transgressor Vst, Hum Dono Watch Online, Stardock Fences, The Last Boy Scout Cory, Mark Blankfield Net Worth, Sanjuro Blood Spray, The Sculptor And The Image, I Was Here The Glorious Ones Lyrics, Watch Stitchers Season 2, Titanic Museum, Maxwell Jenkins Instagram, Willie Mays Hayes Quotes, Gone Too Soon Daughtry Lyrics, Voog Sign Up, Wilson A2000, Nationals League, Jake Paul Wrestling, Oxford American Writers Thesaurus 3rd Edition, David Lagercrantz Books In Order, A Pocketful Of Rye Cast 1985, Dead Samurai Unblocked, 44 Outfield Glove, Thomas Francis O'brien Age, My Little Pony Movie (1986 Dvd), Ghassan Massoud Instagram,

2020© Wszelkie prawa zastrzeżone. | Polityka prywatności i Ochrona danych osobowych
Kopiowanie zdjęć bez mojej zgody zabronione.