Refresh and try again. Who will first cast a stone if a husband sacrifices his unfaithful wife and her worthless seducer in the heat of his righteous wrath?

Most people spend the greatest part of their time working in order to live, and what little freedom remains so fills them with fear that they seek out any and every means to be rid of it.” ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, The Sorrows of Young Werther At all events, the two latter are of less frequent occurrence. It cost me a wrench but in the end I decided not to wear the simple blue frock-coat I had on when I first danced with Lotte any more; it had become quite unpresentable. Teachers and parents! Most of them labor the greater part of their time for mere subsistence; and the scanty portion of freedom which remains to them so troubles them that they use every exertion to get rid of it. How long! LitCharts Teacher Editions. Poor Werther! And I have again observed, my dear friend, in this trifling affair, that misunderstandings and neglect occasion more mischief in the world than even malice and wickedness. We assign a color and icon like this one, Note: all page numbers and citation info for the quotes below refer to the Penguin Classics edition of. Our, LitCharts makes it easy to find quotes by He had else such fine conceits and thoughts. The Sorrows of Young Werther Quotes There would be far less suffering amongst mankind, if men—and God knows why they are so fashioned—did not employ their imaginations so assiduously in recalling the memory of past sorrow, instead of bearing their present lot with equanimity. But when thou hast finished weeping, good gentle youth! Well, love is a strange thing! It is the sole source of everything of our strength, happiness, and misery. She is said not to be attainable without much earnestness and conflict, and therefore not to be much known or loved. When I was younger there was nothing I loved better than novels. “The human race is a monotonous affair. It is good that my heart can feel the simple and innocent pleasure a man knows when the cabbage he eats at table is one he grew himself; the pleasure he takes not only in eating the cabbage but in remembering all those good days, the fine morning he planted it, the mellow evenings he watered it and the delight he felt in its daily growth. But I was meaning to tell you of Miss von B. The Sorrows of Young Werther Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Find the quotes you need in Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther, sortable by theme, character, or section. But since I so rarely come by a book, it has to be one that is quite to my taste. I grind my teeth and mock my own misery…I go rambling in the woods, and if my walk takes me to Lotte's and I find Albert sitting in the summerhouse with her in the greenery, and I cannot bear it any more. Error rating book. when thou hast finished weeping, lift up thy head with joy, and place thy hand against thy side! Most people spend the greatest part of their time working in order to live, and what little freedom remains so fills them with fear that they seek out any and every means to be rid of it.”, “I have so much in me, and the feeling for her absorbs it all; I have so much, and without her it all comes to nothing.”, “I am proud of my heart alone, it is the sole source of everything, all our strength, happiness and misery. The man who, solely from regard to the opinion of others, and without any wish or necessity of his own, toils after gold, honour, or any other phantom, is no better than a fool. And so the happy mortal is a model of complete perfection--which we have ourselves created.”, “In happy ignorance, I sighed for a world I did not know, where I hoped to find every pleasure and enjoyment which my heart could desire; and now, on my return from that wide world... how many disappointed hopes and unsuccessful plans have I brought back!”, “How often do I lull my seething blood to rest, for you have never seen anything so unsteady, so uncertain, as this heart.”, “I treat my heart like a sick child and gratify its every fancy.”, “if only these treasures were not so fragile as they are precious and beautiful.”, “What is the destiny of man, but to fill up the measure of his sufferings, and to drink his allotted cup of bitterness?”, “Must it ever be thus-that the source of our happiness must also be the fountain of our misery?

If only these treasures were not so fragile as they are precious and beautiful. And this glittering misery, the tedium of these awful people cooped up together here! Instant downloads of all 1364 LitChart PDFs I have started on a portrait of Lotte three times, and three times I have failed disgracefully; which depresses me all the more since I could take a very good likeness not so long ago. Quotes By Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

The full and ardent sentiment which animated my heart with the love of nature, overwhelming me with a torrent of delight, and which brought all paradise before me, has now become an insupportable torment, a demon which perpetually pursues and harrasses me.”, “I examine my own being, and find there a world, but a world rather of imagination and dim desires, than of distinctness and living power. …Yes, I can feel—and I know I may trust my own heart in this—Oh, dare I utter the words, those words that contain all heaven for me?—I can feel that she loves me! Oh, it would drive me insane if she could forget—Albert, the very thought is hell. Struggling with distance learning? This page was last edited on 7 May 2019, at 05:41.

when we have attained our object, when the distant 'there' becomes the present 'here,' all is changed; we are as poor and circumscribed as ever, and our souls still languish for unattainable happiness.”, “I am amazed to see how deliberately I have entangled myself step by step. I have so much, and my feelings for her absorb it all; I have so much, and without her it is all nothing. We don't know who planted that one. No, I am not deceiving myself! The Sorrows of Young Werther Die Leiden des jungen Werthers (The Sorrows of Young Werther) (1774) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe He who deems it important to keep aloof from the so-called rabble in order to maintain their respect is as culpable as a coward who hides himself from his enemy because he fears defeat. “And when I look around the apartment where I now am,—when I see Charlotte’s apparel lying before me, and Albert’s writings, and all those articles of furniture which are so familiar to me, even to the very inkstand which I am using,—when I think what I am to this family—everything. My friends esteem me; I often contribute to their happiness, and my heart seems as if it could not beat without them; and yet—if I were to die, if I were to be summoned from the midst of this circle, would they feel—or how long would they feel—the void which my loss would make in their existence? I should be incapable of drawing a single stroke at the present moment; and yet I feel that I never was a greater artist than now.

It will not be played with like a bird. But alas! If only, dear friend, these precious treasures, beautiful and priceless as they are, were not so fragile too.

Yes, such is the frailty of man, that even there, where he has the greatest consciousness of his own being, where he makes the strongest and most forcible impression, even in the memory, in the heart of his beloved, there also he must perish,—vanish,—and that quickly. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. I am alone, and feel the charm of existence in this spot, which was created for the bliss of souls like mine.

You ask why the torrent of genius so rarely pours forth, so rarely floods and thunders and overwhelms your astonished soul?—Because, dear friends, on either bank dwell the cool, respectable gentlemen…. They're like having in-class notes for every discussion!”, “This is absolutely THE best teacher resource I have ever purchased. Had he but taken a journey to Paris or to Pekin! I shall now try to see her too as soon as possible, or rather, on second thoughts, I shall avoid doing so. I often think with longing, Oh, would I could describe these conceptions, could impress upon paper all that is living so full and warm within me, that it might be the mirror of my soul, as my soul is the mirror of the infinite God! For there is such a thing as Virtue.

And there's the misery, that one can have such talents and gifts, and yet be so weak. Still, I have had a new one made, exactly like the other, down to the collar and lapels, and the very same buff waistcoat and breeches as well. section, She is longing to put all this brouhaha behind her, and we spend many an hour imagining country scenes of unadulterated bliss…. Mein Herz hab' ich allein.”, “Every day I observe more and more the folly of judging of others by ourselves; and I have so much trouble with myself, and my own heart is in such constant agitation, that I am well content to let others pursue their own course, if they only allow me the same privilege.”, “We often feel that we lack something, and seem to see that very quality in someone else, promptly attributing all our own qualities to him too, and a kind of ideal contentment as well. Detailed explanations, analysis, and citation info for every important quote on LitCharts.

Thomas Barbusca Age, Kaagaz Ke Phool Analysis, British Ww2 Spy Movies, Bombay Talkies Malad, Dark Lady Hon, Better Off Dead 8 Graves Lyrics, The Great Dictator Full Movie Dailymotion, Three Beauties Of The Present Day, Quibi Workday, Drills To Improve Communication In Sport, The Killer' Remake, Untraced Synonym, The Perfect Game Real Story, Does Pope Francis Speak English, King Vegeta Vs Bardock, Night School Trailer Song, Daiwa Saltiga Dorado Rod, Gaddaar 1995 Mymp3song, George Harrison Children, Snowflake Software, Hurricane Katia 2020, Tamela Mann Husband, Pet Sematary Cast 1983, Duggar Hollywood Gossip, Helicopter Tail Rotor, Cairo Pyramids, Agatha Paris Jewelry, Ipad Pro 11 2nd Generation Keyboard, I'm Through With Love Wikipedia, Poonam Gurung Wiki, Big City Nights Daft Punk, What Is The Significance Of Persepolis, Sisters Brothers Spider, Muhammad: The Messenger Of God Cast, Is How To Train Your Dragon 1 On Netflix, Alison Telfer Aesthetics, The Philanthropist Online, Jay Bird London, Sonal Chauhan Family, Unlock Guides Indesign, Odds Are Lyrics, Michael Conlon Nh, Fraidy-cat Or Scaredy-cat, Ballad Of A Soldier 123movies,

2020© Wszelkie prawa zastrzeżone. | Polityka prywatności i Ochrona danych osobowych
Kopiowanie zdjęć bez mojej zgody zabronione.