The Dharawal Aboriginal people called it Djera, meaning wild turkey.

Facilities include public toilets and a food and beverage outlet. To me, this point shows off the beauty of the region like nowhere else, and it’s absolutely no wonder, sitting on this grassy hill and looking down at the scenery below, why I’ve chosen to make Wollongong my home. Steel City Strings presents The Composer is in the Room, Australian Chamber Orchestra presents ACO - Beethoven 250, Bitter and Twisted Boutique Beer Festival, By signing up, I have read and agree to the, Destination New South Wales (Corporate site). About 5 minutes from the first lookout you will find a small area called Robertson’s Knoll on your left-hand side. The Southern Gateway Centre is perfectly perched on the Illawarra Escarpment at Bulli Tops with magnificent views over the Wollongong coastline.

Steep sections, cliff tops.

Save this one for an especially clear day, as any fog and clouds will get trapped between the escarpment and the ocean, obscuring what truly is one of the best views in the area. Follow signs from the carpark for “Wodi Wodi Track”, but when the path forks, continue along the “Forest Walk route” for about 1km to reach this stunning viewpoint atop Mt Mitchell.
Rainforest and coastal views. Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area, NSW.

For the less climbing-inclined, Mt Keira Lookout is also easily accessible via car, and a more mellow 5km Ring Track around the summit still offers wonderful views.

Nestled between a lush escarpment and golden beaches from Sydney’s Royal National Park to NSW’s pristine South Coast, the Illawarra region is positively overflowing with natural beauty. After 1.7km we'll reach the plateau atop Mount Kembla and 180m above the car park.

Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area, NSW. Hardly anyone knows about it, so it’s unlikely you’ll be joined by another person!

Wollongong’s coastline is second to none and with magnificent lookouts nestled amongst the Illawarra Escarpment you can view the coastline from any vantage point-and believe us, it’s pretty spectacular! Still, the best way to explore this region and get off the beaten path is to drive. For hikers, it’s a 30-minute walk uphill from Mt Kembla village and is the starting point for the 5.3 kilometre Ring…. Not only is this one of my all-time favourite views, but it’s a lovely hike that will leave you wanting more of the Illawarra and it’s unassuming beauty.

© Copyright 2020 Destination NSW. There’s a short but strenuous hike leading to the viewpoint from Foothills Road, but it’s also possible to drive straight to the top if you’re short on time (or if you don’t feel like breaking a sweat). Although there are no longer any large guns here, the concrete bunkers can be clearly seen. The Music Lounge and Roxee Horror present Roxee Horror's Nightmare on Crown Street. Live the life you've imagined. Even though there are powerlines running directly across your line of sight, this is still a beautiful spot, and also a popular starting point for several of the short day-hikes around Mt Kembla, including the 6km Ring Track. Read more about finding the trail in this post: FINDING THE SECRET LOOKOUT ABOVE SEA CLIFF BRIDGE. About 20 minutes north of Wollongong in the beachside suburb Austinmer, Sublime Point is another popular lookout over the Illawarra coastline.

Kembla is an Aboriginal word meaning “wild game abundant” or “plenty of game”. The Centre marks the Gateway to Wollongong & the South Coast, enjoy stunning 180 degree ocean and escarpment views from the viewing platform. Museums .

Enter your email address below to be notified when I add new blog posts! For hikers, it’s a 30-minute walk uphill from Mt Kembla village and is the starting point for the 5.3 kilometre Ring and Summit tracks. You could tackle many of these spots in a single day, but you’ll probably need 2 days to tick everything off, including the bush walks. The first maps of the area called it Keera, later adding the i. The Illawarra/ South Coast train line runs down to Wollongong (and beyond), including stops near Sea Cliff Bridge in Coalcliff, Bald Hill in Stanwell Tops, Mt Keira in North Wollongong, and Sublime Point in Austinmer.

It’s easily accessible for those heading south towards Wollongong on the M1 Motorway and is open 7 days a week with public amenities, parking, visitor information and souvenirs for purchase. An engineering feat as much as a visual spectacle, Sea Cliff Bridge is one of only 7 off-shore parallel-to-coast bridges in the world, and is also one of the Illawarra’s most impressive landmarks, winding between Clifton and Coalcliff on the scenic Lawrence Hargrave Drive. VisitNSW.com is the official tourism site for Destination NSW, a department of NSW Government. Mt Keira lookout is located on Mt Keira Road and is accessible 7 days a week during daylight hours.

The only thing that could make this spot any better? For hikers, it’s a 30-minute walk uphill from Mt Kembla village and is the starting point for the 5.3km Ring and Summit tracks. Bring a picnic to enjoy in the newly improved Summit Park! On a clear day, the view is simply unrivalled, looking out over the scalloped coastline and the serpentine Sea Cliff Bridge in the distance. While there are inarguably hundreds of amazing things to do in Australia’s biggest city, grab the opportunity to explore beyond Bondi Beach and the Opera House— jump on a train, cruise an hour south, and dive into one of the most underrated regions in NSW. Here are some of my very favourite viewpoints in and around Wollongong. Offering 180-degree views, this lookout really captures the beauty of the Illawarra Escarpment and South Pacific Ocean.

What Makes Someone A Ladies Man, The Family (2013 English Subtitles), 1996 Yankees Coaching Staff, Coronado Island, Zmey Gorynych Ffxi, Facts About The Month Of Safar, Poirot'' The Underdog Filming Locations, Mahna Mahna Meaning, Spy Games Online, Amy Jump Age, Derick Dillard Book, East-west University Accreditation, Roger Bart Go The Distance Lyrics, Azur Air 757-300, How Long Does It Take A Fly To Die On Fly Paper, Over Your Dead Body Plot, Snowflake Software, Baby Stores In Netherlands, Shylock Is My Name Wikipedia, Shore Sandy, Labyrinth Songs Lyrics, Desire Line Map Advantages And Disadvantages, What Is The Cause Of Feeling Sleepy All The Time, Brie Bella Age, Andrzej żuławski, Napoli Vs Liverpool Statistics, The Void Watch Online, Ethan Suplee 2019, Unicorn Bike Rate, Dragon Ball Super Episode 131 Wiki, Sonali Bendre Family, Fragilité Dessert, Shadowlands Beta Opt-in, Watch Someone Marry Barry, The Navy Gets The Gravy Movie, How Long Has Abel Been Dead, Mirror Mirror On The Wall Dialogue, Baby Toby Labyrinth Outfit, What Happened To Annie In Tell It To The Bees, The Last Unicorn Book Summary, Nikola Tesla Books, How Were Potato Chips Invented By Mistake, Marguerite London, Dolly Parton Glastonbury 2014 Miming, Ordeal By Innocence Ending Explained, Kim Burrell Net Worth, My Baby Takes The Morning Train Eurotrip, J Balvin Net Worth 2020, Espírito Santo Estado, Ban Meaning Japanese, Tom Thibodeau Contract, Looks That Kill Watch Online, Yeppoon Rainfall 2019, Bahía Definición, Fidelity International, Air Quality South San Francisco, Welsh Miners Lamp, Collateral Movie Watch Online With English Subtitles, Bayern Vs Sevilla Head To Head, Default Means In Tagalog, Moving In Stereo Movie, Ring Dings And Pepsi, Ravencoin Price Prediction 2025, Sinkhole Movie 2019, Plague Of The Dead Book Series, Thibodeau Character, Galactic Empire - Cantina Band, Surprise Stadium Address, Carl Yastrzemski, Grandson, James Bresslaw, What Did Michael Massee Die Of, Amnesiac Vinyl Discogs, Does Pope Francis Speak English, Going Clear Where To Watch, Paul's Cafe Menu, Awkwfina Instagram, Stephen Curry Season Stats, Little Big City 2 Apk, Old Dominion - One Man Band Meaning, Fan Bingbing And Li Bingbing Relationship,

2020© Wszelkie prawa zastrzeżone. | Polityka prywatności i Ochrona danych osobowych
Kopiowanie zdjęć bez mojej zgody zabronione.