Tough-luck loser Bob Turley gave up a 10th-inning walk to Jim Gilliam, a […], On October 8, 1934 At Navin Field the St Louis Cardinals Paul Dean won his second game of the series, Dean pitched a complete game 7 hitter, he will go 2-0 in his only World Series appearance. Nicknames: The Flying Dutchman . The card was designed and issued by the American Tobacco Company (ATC) from 1909 to 1911 as part of its T206 series. We bring you cool stories about the game, players, ballparks and the people that shaped the game!

In all my career, I never saw such a versatile player.”. Also, he had a trick of hitting a high hopper to the infielder. I don’t even know what it means to be sick. But he can run like the wind.”. update=copyright.getFullYear(); document.write(update); All the while, though, he continued to excel at the plate.

1896 beschloss Edward Barrow vom Wheeling, West Virginia, Team, in dem Wagner spielte, Honus zu seinem nächsten Team, der Paterson Silk Sox ( Atlantic League) , mitzunehmen . Born: February 24, 1874 in Chartiers, PA USA Relatives: Brother of Butts Wagner, Personal Dedication on the page of your choice for one year, Commerative bat with your dedication inscribed, Share your story on the Daily Rewind podcast. He was John Peter Wagner, aka Honus, aka Hans, aka The Flying Dutchman, a deadly hitter, sure-handed fielder, and one of the best base stealers who ever lacked on spikes.

Bats: R Throws: R Bernie Carbo delivers pinch hit homerun in game 6 of 1975 World Series, Mickey Mantle turns 89 - Listen to him and his 500th homerun, Miracle Mets Win it ALL - Full Game Broadcast, Bob Gibson wills the Cardinals to the 1964 World Championship, Koufax faces the Twins on 2 Days Rest Game 7 1965 World Series, Maz Walks it off - Game 7 1960 World Series Yankees vs Pirates Full Radio Broadcast October 13, After missing a sign Bob Robertson delivers a 3 run HR 1971 World Series, The Chairman of the Board Whitey Ford on Tops in Sports, Jackie Robinson's last hit - a walk off vs the New York Yankees, Game 6 1934 World Series - Paul Dean faces School Boy Rowe, Lew Burdette faces off vs Whitey Ford Game 5 1957 World Series, 1981 World Series Final Out - LA Dodgers ROY Steve Howe gets New York Yankee Bob Watson to fly out, Will McEnaney records the final out when Roy White flies out 1976 World Series, Tug McGraw strikes out Willie Wilson to close out 1980 World Series, Carlton Fisk walks off vs the Red's Game 6 1975 World Series, Lance Berkman delivers 3 run shot in NLCS to give Astros lead in bottom 7th, October 16 1962 World Series Game 7 New York Yankees at New York Giants Ralph Terry vs Jack Sanford, Rick Wise hits a homerun and pitches a no hitter 1971, Final outs of the 1970 World Series - Baltimore vs Reds. Wagner’s exceptional play enabled the Pirates to establish themselves as one of baseball’s dominant teams during the first decade of the 20th century. However, they defeated Ty Cobb’s Detroit Tigers in the 1909 Fall Classic, with the 35-year-old Wagner badly outplaying the 22-year-old Tiger great. Wagner played deep at shortstop and used a glove with the palm cut out for better control. It would have taken quite a foolhardy man.” – Ty Cobb in My Life in Baseball (1993), “There is something Lincolnesque about him, his rugged homeliness, his simplicity, his integrity, and his true nobility of character.” – Sportswriter Arthur Daley, “The way to get a ball past Honus is to hit it eight feet over his head.” – John McGraw inThe Biographical Encyclopedia (2000), “With his huge hands and quick moves he was considered the premier shortstop of the era and probably the best of all time given the size of the gloves and player surfaces.” – Jonathan Fraser Light in The Cultural Encyclopedia of Baseball (1997), “You can have your Cobbs, your Lajoies, your Chases, your Bakers, but I’ll take Wagner as my pick of the greatest. Using his stubby hands like scoops and often picking up dirt and pebbles with the ball, he waited until the last second to release the ball, before nipping the runner at first base with his powerful throwing arm. Cobb batted a mere .231 during the seven-game Series, which was won by Pittsburgh. I was kind of surprised, but the guy sitting next to me on the bench poked me in the ribs and said, ‘Watch this next one.’ Those kids figured they had the old man’s weaknesses, you see, and served him up the same dish-as he knew they would. They won the National League pennant in 1901, 1902, 1903, and 1909, and they finished no lower than fourth in any season from 1900 to 1911. If the third baseman came in for a tap, he invariably pushed the ball past the fielder. But he was an exceptional athlete who ran the bases extremely well and fielded his position better than most.

In what appears to be a lopsided trade, the A's trade a stunned Jeremy Giambi (.274, 8, 17) to Philadelphia in exchange for pinch-hitter John Mabry (.286, 0, 3). Playing most of his games in right field, Wagner placed among the league leaders with 100 runs batted in, 107 runs scored, 201 hits, and 38 stolen bases, and he won his first batting title with a mark of .381, while also topping the circuit with 22 triples, 45 doubles, and a .573 slugging percentage.

Height: Weight: 200

Wagner continued to perform exceptionally well until 1913, when Father Time finally began to catch up to him. View Honus Wagner’s Page at the Baseball Hall of Fame (plaque, photos, videos). How comprehensive is our World Series data? Noted baseball historian and author Bill James wrote of Wagner in The Biographical Encyclopedia in 2000, “Acknowledging that there may have been one or two whose talents were greater, there is no one who has ever played the game that I would be more anxious to have on a baseball team.”, “He was the nearest thing to a perfect player no matter where his manager chose to play him.” – John McGraw, ” . A November 19, 1907 article appearing in the New York American echoed the sentiments previously expressed by that Louisville sportswriter: “Nobody ever saw anything graceful or picturesque about Wagner on the diamond. Yeager is waiting in the on-deck circle when the end of teammate Bill Russell's bat comes off when he is hitting. He … Buried: Jefferson Memorial Park, Pittsburgh, PA All Rights Reserved by Baseball Almanac, Inc.Hosted by Hosting 4 Less. Well, Honus hit a line drive so hard the fence in left field went back and forth for five minutes.” – Burleigh Grimes in The Quotable Baseball Fanatic (2004), “One of Five Immortals elected to Cooperstown in the inaugural-year balloting, Wagner had his lack of flair and extravagant anecdotes to blame for later-day wonder that some early-century spectactors regarded him as superior to Ty Cobb.” – Authors Donald Dewey & Nichols Acocella in The Biographical History of Baseball (1995), “Spike Honus Wagner? The pitcher threw Honus a curveball, and he swung at it and missed and fell down on one knee. copyright=new Date(); Wagner’s barber shop training officially ended in 1893 when he began playing semipro ball with his older brother Albert in the Allegheny League. (Voted by BBWAA on … - Mickey Mantle Generally considered to be the greatest starting pitcher in the history of the New York Yankees, Whitey Ford was among the premier hurlers of his time. The ball would bounce so high that he was across the bag before he could be stopped.” Source: 50th Anniversary Hall of Fame Yearbook (1989), “There ain’t much to being a ballplayer, if you’re a ballplayer.” Source: The Cultural Encyclopedia of Baseball (1997), “Things were changing fast by that time, women were beginning to come to the ball parks. His movements have been likened to the gambols of a caracoling elephant. The National League contracted from twelve to eight teams at the conclusion of the 1899 campaign, with the Colonels being one of the casualties.
Tubelight Tamil Movie, Bette Davis Net Worth, Coldest Temperature In Darwin, Dancing At Lughnasa Summary, Mt Keira Opening Hours, Mick Foley Children, Unidentified Body Found 2019, Kenny Chesney - Here And Now Vinyl, Pyaasa Movie Story, Run This City Quibi, 1996 Yankees World Series Hat, Afternoon Tea Menu, Brief History Of Seven Killings Chapters, Studio Ghibli Art Style Name, El Hoyo 2, Viking History Timeline, Oaks Colliery Disaster, Nicolas Cage Patricia Arquette Movies, Stegt Flæsk I Ovn, Robin Weisman Net Worth, Mushi-shi Season 2 Episode 20, Giovanni Ferrero Net Worth, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Chapter 35, Tulku The Shadow, Sligo To Limerick, Hope And Glory Movie Streaming, Chvrches - Leave A Trace, Frontlines: Fuel Of War System Requirements, Waiting To Exhale Soundtrack Vinyl, Who Made Money In The Big Short, Monkey Business Meaning And Example, Derick Dillard Tweets, Shanghai Noon Full Movie Part 1, Miss Representation Watch Online, " />

Future Hall of Fame manager and baseball executive Ed Barrow discovered the younger Wagner playing professional ball in the newly-formed Inter-State League two years later, and he quickly signed the 21-year-old infielder/outfielder to play for Paterson, New Jersey, in the Atlantic League. Meanwhile, Wagner batted .333 and stole six bases. The Pirates lost the first-ever World Series to the American League champion Boston Americans in 1903. Only Cobb received more votes than Wagner, who tied Ruth for second place in the initial Hall of Fame balloting. Honus came from a family of 5 boys and his older brother, Albert, was considered the most talented baseball player of the family.

We have box scores from every World Series game in history, line scores, Series rosters, composite team stats, trivia, a sample program, and a detailed written account of the actual Fall Classic. The Honus Wagner World Series stats seen below include his World Series year-by-year hitting stats, World Series fielding stats, and World Series pitching stats (where applicable).

After walking 2 in the 1st he tells catcher John Roseboro my arm is sore I can’t throw the curve. Game 5 of the 1969 World Series. Wins Above Replacement data courtesy of Baseball-Reference.com. The All-Star label/link in the final section only shows whether or not Honus Wagner was an All-Star during the season where he appeared in the World Series (Dash=Not an All-Star | Stats=An All-Star and the link leads to the All-Star Game).
He also coached college baseball and basketball, served as deputy county sheriff in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania for a time, and ran a well-known sporting goods company. A versatile athlete who played every position but catcher during his 21-year career, Wagner was the dominant player of his time, capturing eight batting titles over a 12-year stretch and leading the National League in numerous other statistical categories as well during the first decade of the 20th century. He followed that up by posting a .330 batting average in 1902, while leading the league with 91 runs batted in, 105 runs scored, 30 doubles, and 42 steals.

All UZR (ultimate zone rating) calculations are provided courtesy of Mitchel Lichtman. Part of the Baseball Almanac Family, Jefferson Memorial Park, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Honus Wagner World Series Stats by Baseball Almanac. Where what happened yesterday is being preserved today. Looked helpless as a robin. Although he compiled many of his numbers while playing other positions, Wagner still has more hits, doubles, triples, RBIs, and stolen bases than any other shortstop who ever played, and his .328 career batting average is also the highest of any player who ever manned the position. In all my career, I never saw such a versatile player.” – John McGraw in The Sporting News (December 6, 1955), “I think he was so well put together and his system so well adjusted that his bodily functions were near to perfection. "Acknowledging that there may have been one or two whose talents were greater, there is no one who has ever played the game that I would be more anxious to have on a baseball team." Johannes Peter "Honus" Wagner (/ ˈ h ɒ n ə s ˈ w æ ɡ n ər /; February 24, 1874 – December 6, 1955), sometimes referred to as "Hans" Wagner, was an American baseball shortstop who played 21 seasons in Major League Baseball from 1897 to 1917, almost entirely for the Pittsburgh Pirates.Wagner won his eighth (and final) batting title in 1911, a National League record that … Wagner was born just outside of Pittsburg and given the name Johannes Peter Wagner by his German parents.

Tough-luck loser Bob Turley gave up a 10th-inning walk to Jim Gilliam, a […], On October 8, 1934 At Navin Field the St Louis Cardinals Paul Dean won his second game of the series, Dean pitched a complete game 7 hitter, he will go 2-0 in his only World Series appearance. Nicknames: The Flying Dutchman . The card was designed and issued by the American Tobacco Company (ATC) from 1909 to 1911 as part of its T206 series. We bring you cool stories about the game, players, ballparks and the people that shaped the game!

In all my career, I never saw such a versatile player.”. Also, he had a trick of hitting a high hopper to the infielder. I don’t even know what it means to be sick. But he can run like the wind.”. update=copyright.getFullYear(); document.write(update); All the while, though, he continued to excel at the plate.

1896 beschloss Edward Barrow vom Wheeling, West Virginia, Team, in dem Wagner spielte, Honus zu seinem nächsten Team, der Paterson Silk Sox ( Atlantic League) , mitzunehmen . Born: February 24, 1874 in Chartiers, PA USA Relatives: Brother of Butts Wagner, Personal Dedication on the page of your choice for one year, Commerative bat with your dedication inscribed, Share your story on the Daily Rewind podcast. He was John Peter Wagner, aka Honus, aka Hans, aka The Flying Dutchman, a deadly hitter, sure-handed fielder, and one of the best base stealers who ever lacked on spikes.

Bats: R Throws: R Bernie Carbo delivers pinch hit homerun in game 6 of 1975 World Series, Mickey Mantle turns 89 - Listen to him and his 500th homerun, Miracle Mets Win it ALL - Full Game Broadcast, Bob Gibson wills the Cardinals to the 1964 World Championship, Koufax faces the Twins on 2 Days Rest Game 7 1965 World Series, Maz Walks it off - Game 7 1960 World Series Yankees vs Pirates Full Radio Broadcast October 13, After missing a sign Bob Robertson delivers a 3 run HR 1971 World Series, The Chairman of the Board Whitey Ford on Tops in Sports, Jackie Robinson's last hit - a walk off vs the New York Yankees, Game 6 1934 World Series - Paul Dean faces School Boy Rowe, Lew Burdette faces off vs Whitey Ford Game 5 1957 World Series, 1981 World Series Final Out - LA Dodgers ROY Steve Howe gets New York Yankee Bob Watson to fly out, Will McEnaney records the final out when Roy White flies out 1976 World Series, Tug McGraw strikes out Willie Wilson to close out 1980 World Series, Carlton Fisk walks off vs the Red's Game 6 1975 World Series, Lance Berkman delivers 3 run shot in NLCS to give Astros lead in bottom 7th, October 16 1962 World Series Game 7 New York Yankees at New York Giants Ralph Terry vs Jack Sanford, Rick Wise hits a homerun and pitches a no hitter 1971, Final outs of the 1970 World Series - Baltimore vs Reds. Wagner’s exceptional play enabled the Pirates to establish themselves as one of baseball’s dominant teams during the first decade of the 20th century. However, they defeated Ty Cobb’s Detroit Tigers in the 1909 Fall Classic, with the 35-year-old Wagner badly outplaying the 22-year-old Tiger great. Wagner played deep at shortstop and used a glove with the palm cut out for better control. It would have taken quite a foolhardy man.” – Ty Cobb in My Life in Baseball (1993), “There is something Lincolnesque about him, his rugged homeliness, his simplicity, his integrity, and his true nobility of character.” – Sportswriter Arthur Daley, “The way to get a ball past Honus is to hit it eight feet over his head.” – John McGraw inThe Biographical Encyclopedia (2000), “With his huge hands and quick moves he was considered the premier shortstop of the era and probably the best of all time given the size of the gloves and player surfaces.” – Jonathan Fraser Light in The Cultural Encyclopedia of Baseball (1997), “You can have your Cobbs, your Lajoies, your Chases, your Bakers, but I’ll take Wagner as my pick of the greatest. Using his stubby hands like scoops and often picking up dirt and pebbles with the ball, he waited until the last second to release the ball, before nipping the runner at first base with his powerful throwing arm. Cobb batted a mere .231 during the seven-game Series, which was won by Pittsburgh. I was kind of surprised, but the guy sitting next to me on the bench poked me in the ribs and said, ‘Watch this next one.’ Those kids figured they had the old man’s weaknesses, you see, and served him up the same dish-as he knew they would. They won the National League pennant in 1901, 1902, 1903, and 1909, and they finished no lower than fourth in any season from 1900 to 1911. If the third baseman came in for a tap, he invariably pushed the ball past the fielder. But he was an exceptional athlete who ran the bases extremely well and fielded his position better than most.

In what appears to be a lopsided trade, the A's trade a stunned Jeremy Giambi (.274, 8, 17) to Philadelphia in exchange for pinch-hitter John Mabry (.286, 0, 3). Playing most of his games in right field, Wagner placed among the league leaders with 100 runs batted in, 107 runs scored, 201 hits, and 38 stolen bases, and he won his first batting title with a mark of .381, while also topping the circuit with 22 triples, 45 doubles, and a .573 slugging percentage.

Height: Weight: 200

Wagner continued to perform exceptionally well until 1913, when Father Time finally began to catch up to him. View Honus Wagner’s Page at the Baseball Hall of Fame (plaque, photos, videos). How comprehensive is our World Series data? Noted baseball historian and author Bill James wrote of Wagner in The Biographical Encyclopedia in 2000, “Acknowledging that there may have been one or two whose talents were greater, there is no one who has ever played the game that I would be more anxious to have on a baseball team.”, “He was the nearest thing to a perfect player no matter where his manager chose to play him.” – John McGraw, ” . A November 19, 1907 article appearing in the New York American echoed the sentiments previously expressed by that Louisville sportswriter: “Nobody ever saw anything graceful or picturesque about Wagner on the diamond. Yeager is waiting in the on-deck circle when the end of teammate Bill Russell's bat comes off when he is hitting. He … Buried: Jefferson Memorial Park, Pittsburgh, PA All Rights Reserved by Baseball Almanac, Inc.Hosted by Hosting 4 Less. Well, Honus hit a line drive so hard the fence in left field went back and forth for five minutes.” – Burleigh Grimes in The Quotable Baseball Fanatic (2004), “One of Five Immortals elected to Cooperstown in the inaugural-year balloting, Wagner had his lack of flair and extravagant anecdotes to blame for later-day wonder that some early-century spectactors regarded him as superior to Ty Cobb.” – Authors Donald Dewey & Nichols Acocella in The Biographical History of Baseball (1995), “Spike Honus Wagner? The pitcher threw Honus a curveball, and he swung at it and missed and fell down on one knee. copyright=new Date(); Wagner’s barber shop training officially ended in 1893 when he began playing semipro ball with his older brother Albert in the Allegheny League. (Voted by BBWAA on … - Mickey Mantle Generally considered to be the greatest starting pitcher in the history of the New York Yankees, Whitey Ford was among the premier hurlers of his time. The ball would bounce so high that he was across the bag before he could be stopped.” Source: 50th Anniversary Hall of Fame Yearbook (1989), “There ain’t much to being a ballplayer, if you’re a ballplayer.” Source: The Cultural Encyclopedia of Baseball (1997), “Things were changing fast by that time, women were beginning to come to the ball parks. His movements have been likened to the gambols of a caracoling elephant. The National League contracted from twelve to eight teams at the conclusion of the 1899 campaign, with the Colonels being one of the casualties.

Tubelight Tamil Movie, Bette Davis Net Worth, Coldest Temperature In Darwin, Dancing At Lughnasa Summary, Mt Keira Opening Hours, Mick Foley Children, Unidentified Body Found 2019, Kenny Chesney - Here And Now Vinyl, Pyaasa Movie Story, Run This City Quibi, 1996 Yankees World Series Hat, Afternoon Tea Menu, Brief History Of Seven Killings Chapters, Studio Ghibli Art Style Name, El Hoyo 2, Viking History Timeline, Oaks Colliery Disaster, Nicolas Cage Patricia Arquette Movies, Stegt Flæsk I Ovn, Robin Weisman Net Worth, Mushi-shi Season 2 Episode 20, Giovanni Ferrero Net Worth, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Chapter 35, Tulku The Shadow, Sligo To Limerick, Hope And Glory Movie Streaming, Chvrches - Leave A Trace, Frontlines: Fuel Of War System Requirements, Waiting To Exhale Soundtrack Vinyl, Who Made Money In The Big Short, Monkey Business Meaning And Example, Derick Dillard Tweets, Shanghai Noon Full Movie Part 1, Miss Representation Watch Online,

2020© Wszelkie prawa zastrzeżone. | Polityka prywatności i Ochrona danych osobowych
Kopiowanie zdjęć bez mojej zgody zabronione.